Documentation Chapter 5:
Remote Device Configuration (PDA)
Configuration for mail clients on a wireless device are similar to those on a traditional desktop or laptop as described in Chapter 3. While there are variances between mail clients and across device platforms, the key information needed for configuration is common to all:
Sample device configurations are provided below. Your particular wireless device and remote mail client may not be included, but the examples below should provide you with an overall picture of how you would configure your device. We encourage users to submit your mail client configuration instructions for use here for others. We appreciate any instructions, feedback, or comments you can provide.
- User/login name (as assigned in GoPOP)
- Password (or APOP secret) (as assigned in GoPOP)
- POP3/incoming mail server (is always the primary computer's IP address)
- SMTP/outgoing mail server (Outlook/primary computer SMTP server; or remote mail client server)
Note: You can now control how GoPOP disposes of deleted messages. Using the Tools --> Options menu, you can configure GoPOP to either delete messages completely, or send them to the Outlook "Deleted Items" folder on your primary computer.
Using EarthLink Wireless Mail as Your Remote Mail Client
Instructions below refer to Earthlink Wireless Mail (v. 1.0) on a Handspring Visor Prism (or similar)
You have now successfully configured Earthlink Mail to access your Outlook mail folders on your primary computer! You can view all of your Outlook mail files/folders and send and receive mail using this account.
- From the Applications menu, tap the "Elnk Mail" icon
- Tap the "Omnisky" menu and select "Edit Accounts"
- Tap the "New" button
- Name: Input your name (or any name you'd like to appear for sending mail) and then tap the "Next" button
- Account Type: Select "POP3" and tap the "Next" button
- POP3 Email Server: Select "Other" and when prompted, enter the IP address of your primary computer that is running Outlook and on which you installed GoPOP, then tap the "Next" button
- Authorization Type:
- Select "None" if you did not enter an APOP secret in your GoPOP configuration
- Select "APOP" if you did enter an APOP secret in your GoPOP configuration
- Tap the "Next" button
- Encryption Type: Do not select SSL - simply tap the "Next" button
- Username and Password: Enter the values you established in your GoPOP configuration and tap the "Next" button
- Email: Enter the email address for the Outlook mailbox on your primary computer, to which you are connecting and tap the "Next" button
- Account Name: Enter any value you wish to identify this mail connection on your device (GoPOP, Primary Mail, Outlook, etc.) and tap the "Finish" button
- Tap the "Done" button
Using Cingular Wireless as Your Remote Mail Client
Instructions below refer to Cingular Wireless One-Touch Mail (v. 2.3) on a Handspring TREO 270 Communicator (or similar)
You have now successfully configured Cingular Wireless/One-Touch Mail to access your Outlook mail folders on your primary computer! You can view all of your Outlook mail files/folders and send and receive mail using this account.
- From the Applications menu, tap the "One Touch" icon
- If it is not visible, hit the "Menu" button on the keyboard
- Tap the "Setup" menu and select "Account Setup"
- Tap "New" to add a new server
- On the Mail Settings - Basic Screen, enter the following information:
- Incoming (POP3) mail server: enter the IP address of your primary computer
- Account: enter the username you established in your GoPOP configuration
- Password: tap the box and when prompted in the new dialog box, enter your password (or APOP secret) as established in your GoPOP configuration and tap "Set password"
- Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: enter the value as established in your Outlook email on your primary computer
- Name: Enter the name you would like displayed on outgoing messages
- Email: Enter your email address
- Tap the "Done" button
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Copyright © 1995-2010 Maximized Software. All rights reserved.